How To Install Your New FreedomAlert System
So you just unboxed your new FreedomAlert! You may be wondering how to set up some of its unique features like call-forwarding, or you may just need some help with the installation and programming of your contacts. In any case, we hope this step-by-step installation guide will make it easy so you can get the most out of your new system. If at any point you need help, please contact us at 1 (800) 519-2419 so we can point you in the right direction.
1. Make sure your kit came with all the necessary equipment
Your new FreedomAlert system includes the FreedomAlert base, a two-way voice pendant, two lithium-ion pendant batteries, four AA base batteries, a telephone cord, an AC power adapter, a lanyard, a wrist strap, and a belt clip. If your kit doesn't include everything you see here, be sure to contact us so we can get those items to you.
Additionally, your device comes with an instruction manual. You can use this to help you program phone numbers to your system. It will also give you information on how to best use the device and how to maintain it so it will continue to serve its purpose years to come. Please click here to view all of our FreedomAlert Guides and Manuals.
2. Place batteries into the bottom of the base
- Place the Green AA Rechargeable Batteries in the compartment on the bottom of the base unit.
- Make sure to align positive to positive and negative to negative by matching the symbols on the batteries to the symbols on the base. Check the picture for correct orientation.
- Turn ON/OFF switch to ON. You will hear the announcement “Running on Battery Power.” The unit will do so until the AC Adapter power supply is plugged into the wall and to the unit.
- Place one pendant battery in the Pendant Battery Charger on the front of the base. The charging light key is as follows:
RED Light = Charging
GREEN Light = Battery Charged
No Light = Defective battery or no battery installed
3. Place batteries into the 2-way voice pendant
- Unscrew the lid to the pendant battery compartment. It can be found on the top of the pendant.
- Slide the battery into the device positive end down.
- When the battery is properly installed, the pendant will automatically perform a battery check. Listen for these voice prompts every time a battery is installed
- The battery should standby in the pendant for 4-6 months (depending on use), but we recommend exchanging or charging the batteries monthly.
4. Plug in the power cord
- Plug the AC Adapter power cord into the power jack on the back of the base and twist it in 1/4 turn clockwise to lock.
- Plug the AC Adapter into an electrical outlet.
5. Plug in the telephone line
- Plug the telephone line into one of the telephone jacks on the back of the base.
- Plug the telephone cord into the jack
- Plug the base into a wall or modem telephone jack
6. Test the system
- Push GRAY test button on the back of pendant for 4 seconds.
- Listen for voice prompt from base unit: “All Systems are OK – Battery is OK” is heard if the system is correctly installed.
- If any other voice prompt is heard, the unit will describe the problem.
- We recommend that you perform this System Test weekly.
7. Program your contacts
For a detailed how-to on this step, please refer to your FreedomAlert instruction manual.
You can find a complete walkthrough from pages 11 through 16. Download the manual here.
8. Place a call
- Push the BLUE EMERGENCY button for 2 seconds on Pendant. (The RED LED on the pendant should turn ON.)
- You should hear a dial tone and dialing as it calls your Friends or 911. Several seconds later you will listen to the announcement, “This is an emergency. If you would like to continue, please press 5...” Your Friend should press 5, and all dialing will then stop.
- Talk normally into the pendant– just like into a speakerphone.
- At the end of the conversation, push the GRAY TEST BUTTON to hang up. The Friend can also press 9 to hang up. (The FreedomAlert will automatically hang up after 3 minutes of silence.)
9. If you need help, contact support
Technology can be a pain. If at any point you start having trouble installing or troubleshooting your new FreedomAlert system, please contact us at 1 (800) 519-2419. We're happy to help.